“This class has been eye-opening and I just want to let you know I so appreciate you and this course! This method is the game changer I’ve been looking for. Sometimes you don’t know what’s missing until you find it! I will tell all my doula friends about this class! Thank you”
Ailish McMahon-Lewis, CD, New Britain, CT
Transformational Birth Support Coaching is a certificate course designed to enrich birth support figures of all types: doulas, childbirth educators, prenatal yoga teachers, and everyone else who supports expectant couples, with coaching tools and strategies. These are the same strategies practiced by coaches, in a variety of coaching fields, in order to lead their clients to optimally perform in the area in which they are being coached.
The Coach’s primary role to help clients become more in touch with their intuition, beliefs, values, wishes, and goals, and feel confident that they have the resources within themselves to go through the journey of pregnancy and birth.
Once you begin implementing the coaching strategies and skills into your birth support practice, you’ll achieve better results when leading expectant parents to confidently navigate themselves throughout the experience of pregnancy and childbirth. Patient-centered care, patient autonomy, informed consent, patient accountability, and increased rates of vaginal deliveries, can all be achieved by integrating coaching into childbirth support.
Upon completion of the certification requirements, you’ll be awarded the
Birth Support Coaching certification badge.
This course consists of:
- The Art of Coaching for Childbirth as a textbook.
- 7 online lessons introducing videos, articles, and additional resources*
- 8 Zoom meetings. All Zoom meetings will be recorded in case you had to miss them while attending a birth. The first meeting takes place on the course’s beginning day. The 7 following meetings are held consecutively for 7 weeks on the same weekday and at the same time – 10:30 am (PST).
- 6 virtual coaching practice sessions with a peer student.
- A bonus lesson upon completion of the course certification requirements.
- A packet of printable handouts made out of the Zoom presentations and birth coaching exercises.
Following the participation in the course, students will be able to:
- Increase the rates of vaginal and physiological births, as well as patients’ satisfaction with the birthing experience.
- Understand and embrace the coaching relationships as a pathway to patient-centered childbirth support and maternal care.
- Establish client-centered relationships with expectant parents and lead them to navigate mindfully, and with respect to their beliefs and values, through the overwhelming information and the often conflicting studies that proclaim to be evidence-based.
- Integrate prenatal coaching as the foundation of childbirth support with the goal of facilitating clarity of clients’ beliefs, wishes, and goals, informed consent, patient’s autonomy, patient’s higher level of confidence, individuals’ ability to advocate for themselves, increased rates of vaginal childbirth, and higher satisfaction levels.
- Elicit expectant individuals’ accountability to their healthy birth process and their desired birth vision.
- Decrease the tension between different schools and approaches to maternal care, and between the different agents in the field of childbirth support.
- Reduce professionals’ fatigue and burnout.
- Childbirth Support in Review and the Value of Integrating the Principles and Strategies of Coaching into the Field.
- Introduction to Coaching: The Origins, Philosophy, Professional Principles, and Basic Terminology.
- The structure of the Coaching Process: The GROW Model of Coaching and its Application to Childbirth Support.
- Prenatal Coaching: The Foundation of Client-Centered Childbirth Support,
- Coaching through Labor and Pain.
- Coaching in light of Medical Conditions, Complications, and Impositions throughout Pregnancy and Birth.
- Coaching for a Healthy and Coherent Closure of the Birth Experience.
- Additional bonus lesson (emailed to you when you complete the course requirements): Establishing Your Birth Coach Practice.
- Complete the online self-study of all the course lessons.
- Attend at least 50% of the live Zoom meetings provided for the course session you enrolled in. You may make up a missed meeting by watching the recorded session.
- Submit the 20 Days Action Plan.
- Pass the final exam (scoring at least 70%).
- Have at least one-year experience practicing as a birth support practitioner (birth or postpartum doula, childbirth educator, prenatal yoga instructor, nursing degree, midwifery, or other), or
- If you are new to the field of birth support and aren’t trained as a birth support practitioner of any type, we will require you to study a list of pre-requisite classes offered by Birth Coach Method.
- Print and sign the code of ethics and scope of practice agreement.
- Submit the application for certification form
- Annual renewal of Birth Coach Method membership – $60 annually. (The membership fee grants you access to future webinars and updated and new materials.)
When you’re finished with your training, you will be eligible to post the Birth Coach Method certification badge in your own marketing materials. That includes on your website where it will link to a page we have prepared for expectant parents to help them appreciate the benefit they will receive because of the training you received.
Our Refund Policy:
- Full refund prior to the course’s opening day.
- 50% refund of the course’s paid tuition, minus $60 registration and processing fees, up to 21 days from registration day.
- * When using the payment plan you’ll be charged an additional enrollment fee of 8% total
- Naima Beckles’ Professional Revival with Transformational Birth Coaching - April 20, 2021
- New Webinar: A New Approach to Birth Advocacy – World Doula Week 2021 - March 23, 2021
- Navigating the Epidural Dilemma Before and During Childbirth - February 23, 2021